Monday, December 10, 2007

Sub for Santa!!!!


At our church we have a sub for Santa tree where you take an ornament and buy a gift for a child who doesn't have much. We chose a 18 month old girl who's parents had just asked for diapers. We are planning on doing more than that so that hopefully she can have a really nice Christmas. It really made me think about how fortunate I was when I was little. I recieved so many gifts that I wouldn't even take the time to look at one before I moved on to the next. Ian and I have decided that we are going to do a sub for Santa every year to help a child who wouldn't be getting anything otherwise. We have been thinking alot lately about how we can buy Christmas for all the children in our family without breaking the bank and without buying them things they already have. With our nieces and nephews numbering 7 1/2 and growing rapidly it can sometimes be a hard task. All the kids in our families are very fortunate to have parents that are able to provide them with a nice place to live and everything that they need. We came up with an idea that I think is a pretty good one. With the money and time that we usually spend on buying the children in our families presents we are going to use that money toward a child who would be getting nothing else. I think this is a good idea for many reasons but especially because we can share with the kids in our life that by them giving up one present from their aunt and uncle that they were able to help a little kid who really needed a nice coat to keep them warm or shoes to keep their little feet dry. Hopefully when our nieces and nephews get a little older they will learn what a great thing they are doing and in the future will be able to help us pick out the gifts that they give to a child who is less fortunate. We love our nieces and nephews so much and think that this really is the best thing that we could give them for Christmas. This year is a little late to get it started but hopefully next year we can set aside a day that all of the older kids can go with us to help pickout the present that they will give to a kid who would really enjoy it. This really made me think about how fortunate I am to have such nice things and such a great family that I can share it with. I hope everyone has a great Holiday season and keeps in mind what the Holidays are really about. Merry Christmas everyone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great idea. What a great tradition to start. I am sure all the kids will understand.

Glenda said...

Good Idea! your blog was so touching, there are so many that are in need, your Christmas will be full of Happiness and Joy!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I am so proud of the way my children think about others.

Moose said...

We had Easton & Brighton pick ornaments off our ward tree, which had dollar amounts on them. They donated their own $$$ for a Sub for Santa Gift. I would much rather have cousins and aunts and uncles give to others in need rather than each other.

Johnston Family said...

You are both so thoughtful and caring! Great idea! We usually like to have the girls do some sort of sub for santa each year! I have a cute dress I would love to contribute if you haven't given her stuff yet!

Ian, Kels & Lilly said...

We have already turned our stuff in but I know our ward knows who it is so I am sure we could get it to her!